How to Make Room for Christmas or Hanukkah Toys
Sarah Giller Nelson, Owner, Less Is More
With the holidays right around the corner, now is the perfect time to get the playroom ready for all the new toys that your children will receive. Here are a few tips to get the job done quickly and easily:
1. Start with the easy stuff. Toss broken toys, puzzles and games with missing pieces, and dried out markers. Recycle completed coloring books. Donate toys your child has outgrown.
2. Sort, store, and label. Gather like with like and place them in labeled bins and baskets.
3. Make space by creating a rotation system. Select a few toys to store in a large lidded bin in an out-of-the-way area, like the top of a closet or the garage.
4. If the task seems overwhelming, break it down into smaller sessions. Set a timer for one hour, turn on your favorite songs, and tackle one bin at a time.
5. Encourage family members to buy experiences, like movie tickets, museum, zoo, or play space memberships, or gift certificates to a local ice cream parlor, rather than toys. Older children will enjoy tickets to skating rinks, climbing gyms, and concerts.